haskoy

The meaning of the name is Oasis of Peace. There was another synagogue with the same name in the history of Istanbul’s Jewry. In 1923, during the opening ceremony of Apollon (Knesset) synagogue, the leader of Galata Jewish community, Abraham Botton made the promise to open a big and modern synagogue. A new land was bought for that purpose in 1926 on Refik Saydam Street by Elia Kadori and donated to the community.