According to a document dated 16 may 1693; the Ahrida synagogue is active since 1404. The synagogue was built by the Jewish community coming from Ohri, Macedonia. The name of the synagogue comes from the home town of its builders. The actual shape of the building has nothing to do with its original shape. According to a not very credible theory, the building of today is actually to buildings joined together.